Eat the baked beets with quince puree or sour cream and good bread as an appetizer.
For 4 people
Working time: 10 min
Total time: 9 min
- 400 g beets
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 100 g hay
- Wash and clean the beets well, cut off the top and turn them in oil and salt.
- Put the beets in a cast iron pot with lots of hay and put the lid on.
- Bake the beets in the oven at 165 degrees for approx. 60 minutes until soft and tender.
- Keep the peel of the hay-baked beets and serve with quince puree.
Baking your root vegetables in hay gives them a slightly smoky taste that is a bit reminiscent of barbecue and summer time. You can buy hay from a pet store, but you can also bake them in a pot without hay, so you just do not get the smoky taste.
You get a large portion out of the recipe here, but you can use it for lots of others green dishes that need a sweet-sour zest. The jars can stay refrigerated for about 2 months.
- 1 kg of quinces, Japanese and ordinary large quinces can be used
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, zest and juice thereof
- 400 g sugar
- 1 dl water
- Wash the quinces well, then cut them into coarse pieces
- Grate the cinnamon sticks in a large saucepan until the aroma of cinnamon smells
- Peel the lemon with a thin peeler into fine thin strips. Squeeze the juice out of the lemon
- Place lemon, peels and juice, quinces, sugar and water in the pan, cover and bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour (add more water if necessary if it boils dry)
- Cool the puree a little, then squeeze it through a fine sieve and discard the quince kernels
- Then place in clean glass or plastic container with lid and store refrigerated
If you love chili, you can just add a little chopped chili straight before serving.
Quince is an old aromatic fruit with a scent of sour, lightly fermented apple. The Nordic quinces are very sour and must be boiled in order to be eaten.
The recipe was published in Politiken / Spis & Bo / January 2021
Grilled beets with Miso butter. Miso is a traditional Japanese pasta packed with vitamins, proteins and minerals.
Beetroot spaghetti with soy / lime dressing.
Basic recipe for baked rhubarbIn the sweet kitchen, add 10 tablespoons of sugar, for a dish in the salty kitchen, use 5 tablespoons.